Sunday 23 April 2017

Castella Cheese Cake


I first tried this cake when I was in Taiwan. I was not aware it was such a very popular cake then. Being the typical Singaporean, I just joined the queue when I see one. My justification - if there is a queue, it must to GOOD! Lol!

Well, it sure did not disappoint. It's like a sponge cake but super fluffy and jiggly. I loved it to the max! I've been missing this cake since, until my friend shared this recipe with me. I'm not sure where she got the recipe from. Only remembered her saying it was passed to her from another friend. So...to whoever who shared this awesome recipe, thanks for sharing and bringing back the lovely Taiwan memory!

I made this cake twice. The first time I used a 7" square pan and the cake rose so high that I thought it was going to overflow. Thankfully it didn't. I used cheese squares the first time round and have taken pictures here to share.


My second attempt was using a 8" square pan and this time it was not as scary as the first time when it started rising in the oven. I also used shredded red cheddar instead. Well, both are equally good!

When served warm, you can see some of the cheese oozing out. Shake it abit and you see the cake jiggling. 


The cake is also great when served chilled. Of course you wouldn't having oozing cheese in this case. :)

Castella Cheese Cake
makes a 8 inch square cake

Ingredients:
85g milk
85g oil
35g cream cheese
2 tsp grated parmesan cheese
105g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
7 egg yolks

7 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
75 g sugar

6 pieces of cheddar cheese squares (you can also use shredded cheese)
Grated parmesan cheese for topping

Method:
1. Prepare steambath by adding water to the base tray of the oven. Preheat oven at 160C.

2. Heat milk, oil and cream cheese and grated parmesan cheese together till about 70C. Turn off the heat and whisk the mixture well until the cheese is melted and smooth.




3. Add in the egg yolk, one at a time and mix well.





4. Sieve in flour and baking powder and mix well. Set aside.




5. To make the meringue, beat egg whites in a clean bowl till foamy. Add cream of tartar and continue to beat till soft peaks form. Add sugar and continue to beat at high speed till stiff peaks form.





6.  Add 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk batter and mix with a whisk.


7. Add another 1/3 of the meringue into the batter and mix with a whisk.



8. Then add in the balance 1/3 of the meringue and gently fold the meringue into the cake batter until well blended.



9. Pour half of the batter into a lined baking pan.


10. Layer the cheese squares on top.


11. Pour in the other half of the batter over the layer of cheese squares.


12. Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over the cake batter.


13. Steam bake at 160C for 60 min.

14. Remove from oven when done.


15. Unmould and enjoy the oozing cheese when it's still warm, or enjoy the cake when it's cooled without the oozing cheese. Both are as nice!





Thanks for dropping by. Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing and for such a detailed pic by pic instruction. I'm game to try it today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, you are most welcome. Nice things are to be shared. :)
      Hope that you will enjoy this as much as my family and I have.

      Delete
  2. Hi LY
    Yes I made the cake. Amazed that I could cut it while still piping hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ly!
    I really like your recipe, thank you for sharing it!☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. tempting to try! but... quick question... whats the size of egg you use for this recipe? thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...