Sunday 19 March 2017

Mango Mochi


I've been craving for mangoes and bought a few from the supermarket. After downing one, I decided to use the remaining mangoes to make a really delectable snack for my family. 


I'm using Tinrry's recipe this time round to make mochi. This is the first time I'm adding coconut to mochi and I must say it really adds so must flavour and richness to this dish!!

I simply love this! 


Thumbs up!!


Mango Mochi
recipe adapted and translated from here
(my notes in red)
makes 12

Ingredients:
100g milk
100g coconut cream (I use kara)
120g glutinous rice flour
50g icing sugar
30g corn starch (this helps to reduce the stickiness from the glutinous rice flour and also helps to prevent mochi from hardening too quickly)
15g unsalted butter, melted (I use Medella's Organic Premium Coconut Cooking Oil)
1 mango, cubed (better to cut into bigger cubes)
Dessicated coconut - for coating (Optional. Can also use cooked glutinous rice flour or gao fen to replace as coating)


Method:
1. Remove mango skin and seed. Cut mango flesh into big cubes and set aside in the fridge.


2. Melt 15g butter and set aside.

3. In a bowl, add in glutinous rice flour, icing sugar, corn starch, milk and coconut cream.




4. Using a hand whisk, mix till smooth and well incorporated and there is no traces of lumps of flour mixture.



5. Add in melted butter and mix till well incorporated. (I added coconut oil instead)




Here is a video to show how the batter should look like.


6. Steam over high heat for about 10-15 minutes or till the batter is cooked. (recommended to use a lightly greased ceramic bowl for better heat distribution. I used a greased metal bowl.)





7. Remove from steamer and mix well while hot.


8. Transfer cooked mochi into another bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside to cool down till room temperature. (I cover with a lid instead of using a plastic wrap.)



9. Hand knead the mochi dough for a short while and then divide the mochi into 12 ball portions. (I wore powder free food grade gloves on both hands)




10. To have a smooth mochi, fold in the mochi a few times.




11. For each mochi ball, flatten into a round disc and place a mango cube in the middle. Wrap and seal into a ball again.










12. Coat in coconut flakes.  (I coated with cooked glutinous rice flour, also known as gao fen instead.)




Here is a video to show how to make a smooth surfaced mochi and how to wrap the mango into the mochi.



13. Serve. (I prefer to serve this snack chilled)




Thanks for dropping by. Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your recipe sharing.
    Will the texture harden if I made and put inside the fridge for next day consumption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol,

      Yes, it will become hard if kept too long in the fridge.

      Delete

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...