Wednesday 13 August 2014

Walnut Mooncake (aka Shanghai Mooncake)


I used to love the Moon Tarts from Harbour City Restaurant at PSA Building (the restaurant is no longer around). I was super thrilled when my ex-colleague shared her walnut mooncake with me as it reminded me of the Moon Tarts I so used to love.

Shirley has generously shared her recipe with me. For health reasons, I didn't add any egg yolks in my filling...but I'm happy enough.

I guese that's the beauty of home-bakes....even if it may not be as authentic as the ones I've eaten, I can still manage to reasonably satisfy my cravings anytime. :)

Walnut Mooncake (aka Shanghai Mooncake)
makes 20 small mooncake (25g dough : 25g filling)

For the Pastry
Ingredients:
(A - sieve together)
380g plain flour
20g custard powder

(B)
250g butter (I use SCS)
50g icing sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp water

Method:
1. Sieve the ingredients in (A) together. Set aside.

2. Beat ingredients in (B) using a K beater at high speed for 2-3 minutes.

3. Beat in flour mixture at low speed for 1 minute.

4. Wrap the dough with cling wrap and chill to rest the dough for 30 minutes.

For the Filling
Ingredients:
500g lotus paste
Melon seeds
Walnuts (to be pressed at the side of the mooncake)

Method:
1. Mix the lotus paste andmelon seeds together and mix well. The more you knead the more oil will be released from the lotus paste. (hence smoother and tastes better)

2. Divide the paste into the size required and shape into balls. Set aside.

For the Egg Wash
1 egg yolk
1 tbspn water or milk

Assembly
1. Preheat oven to 180C

2. Divide the pastry dough to required size and shape into balls.

3. For each ball dough, flatten to form a small disc. Wrap the dough skin around the filling and shape into a ball.

4. Place on tray and bake at preheated oven at 180C for 10-15 min, remove from oven and brush with egg wash. Decorate the mooncake by pressing a walnut at the side and then bake for another 10-12 min. (Alternatively, apply egg wash and put walnut at the side first, then bake at 180C for 25 min)

5. Remove from oven and let the mooncake cool down.


This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Diana from the Domestic Goddess Wannabe
Photobucket



I’m also submitting this post to Best Recipes for Everyone August 2014 Event Theme: Mooncake hosted by Fion of XuanHom’s Mom
Best_Recipes



Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog.

6 comments:

  1. Hi LY,

    Your Shanghai mooncakes looks very professional made.

    I think homemade mooncakes is definitely better than the ones we bought from the shops because we know we are using good quality ingredients.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe. Totally agree with you. For own bakes, we control what ingredients and how much of it goes in. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi LY,i really really love walnut,sure this mooncake will be finish all by me..haha
    Thanks again for linking with Best Recipes^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fion, I love walnuts too!
      Thanks for hosting this event!

      Delete
  3. Hi LY this is one popular mooncake and your version is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...