Tuesday 5 August 2014

Traditional Mooncake (Baked)



This is the second year that I'm making traditional mooncakes. I love eating these snacks and enjoy oooogling at the mouth watering pictures posted in magazines and food blogs. I never got down to baking them myself previously as I always thought it would be tedious and difficult.

This all changed last year when a good friend shared with me her recipe. There was lots of apprehension when my first tray of mooncake went into the oven. The outcome was so-so as I was not good at the egg wash and 'destroyed' the imprint of the mooncake mould. My second tray turned out more promising as I got the hang of brushing the egg wash properly. I was simply elated! It wasn't so difficult after all!

Taking a snap before going into the oven

I bought these mooncake moulds from Kitchen Capers. Love them to bits, especially the one with the rabbit. 

Mooncake moulds I got from Kitchen Capers

For the fillings, I bought from both Phoon Huat (they have many outlets in Singapore) and Kwong Cheong Thye (near Aljunied MRT). Kwong Cheong Thye will be worth a visit as they have a wide array of varieties and flavours to choose from. You will be so spoilt for choice! They even allow you to sample their fillings and you can make better decisions.

So if you are also new to baking traditional mooncake and find it really tough, have no fear. If I can do it, you can do even better!! Try baking it!


Traditional Mooncake
makes 10 big mooncakes (40g dough : 110g filling)

Ingredients:
For the Dough
(A - sieve together)
140g plain flour
140g hong kong flour

(B - mix together)
190g golden syrup (I used 'Tate Lyle')
1 tsp alkaline water
50g peanut oil (I used canola oil)


For the Filling
(C - mix well and divide the paste into the size required and shape into balls. Set aside.)
1kg lotus paste
90g melon seeds

For the Egg Wash
1 egg yolk
1 tbspn water or milk

Miscellaneous
Some water in a sprayer (to spray onto the mooncakes before baking in the oven. This is to prevent the crust from cracking.)


Method:
1. Mix (C) together and divide the paste into the requried size and shape into balls. Set aside.
2. Sieve (A) together and set aside.

3. Mix (B) together and pour into the sifted flour mixture.

4. Knead to form a soft dough.

5. Cover with cling wrap and rest the dough for 30 minutes. (I've read somewhere that should rest dough for at least 40 min)

6. Preheat oven to 200C.

7. Divide dough into required size, shaping each dough into a ball.
8. For each dough, flatten to form a small disc. Wrap the dough skin around the filling and shape into a ball.

9. Dust mooncake with plain flour. Press the wrapped dough into the mould.

10. Unmould and arrange on lined baking tray.
11. Spray some water onto the mooncake (this is to prevent cracking) and bake in preheated oven at 200C for 10 minutes.

12. Remove the mooncake from the oven and let it cool for about 10 - 15 minutes.

13. Lightly apply the egg wash onto the mooncake and continue to bake at 200C for another 10 minutes or until golden brown.

14. Remove from oven and immediately brush with super glaze. (This is available from Phoon Huat. It is to give the mooncake the extra shine. I ommitted.)

15. Leave the mooncake to cool down.

16. Store in air-tight container with the 'top' facing downwards for 3 days to allow the mooncake to 回油.


This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Diana from the Domestic Goddess Wannabe
Photobucket


I’m also submitting this post to Best Recipes for Everyone August 2014 Event Theme: Mooncake hosted by Fion of XuanHom’s Mom
Best_Recipes


Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog.

18 comments:

  1. So very tempted but I'm also fearful of failures. Your moon cakes really look like those I bought from hotels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vien,
      Thanks for your compliments.
      I had the same worries all along. Take the maiden plunge! You can do it! I was so glad I tried. It was such a joy to see the freshly baked mooncakes out of my very own oven! :))

      Delete
  2. Such pretty mooncakes you made!I wish to have a piece of it now..haha
    Tks for linking with Best Recipes ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. Looks good and easy to do. may Be I will do some this year. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ken. I always thought mooncakes are difficult to do. So glad I tried!
      Think the important thing to bear in mind is not to fear failure...
      :)

      Delete
  4. Very nice!!! I am starting to get really inspired to bake mooncakes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. really pretty mooncakes, I too better start baking them otherwise I would be late to post them lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeannie.
      Advertisements and photos of mooncakes are already all over the place even though it's still in the midst of the hungry ghost month now. I couldn't resist to bake a batch myself. 😉

      Delete
  6. Hi LY,

    I love your mooncakes. They are so pretty! I have to shop at Kitchen Capers when I go back to Singapore for holidays :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe for the compliment. Will try to improve further on my egg wash. :)

      Delete
  7. Pretty mooncakes. It's tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 您好。好有办法的。月饼烤得好美,好美。好美。颜色多么好看啊。好喜欢哦。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joceline,
      谢谢您的赞美。还有很多进步的空间! :)

      Delete
  9. I love yr mooncakes recipe! Had being baking using yr recipe. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...