Wednesday 20 August 2014

Black Sesame Pound Cake


I've never tried adding sesame to my cake bakes so far and I'm not able to imagine the taste and aroma it lends. I've read that sesame seeds not only add a nutty taste to your food, it also has many health benefits. Since I've always grown up with Sara Lee's pound cakes (but hadn't been having them since I picked up baking again), I thought why not use black sesame seeds as one of the ingredients for a Black Sesame Pound Cakes. 

Do not belittle these little seeds. They are packed with nutritional value and has many health benefits. The goodness in these little fountain of youth include :

- Lower blood cholesterol level;
- Prevent high blood pressure;
- Rich in mono-unsaturated fatty acid;
- Reduce inflammation;
- Support respiratory health;
- Help maintain strong bones;
- Lower cancer risk;
- Good fiber source;
- Good source of antioxidants

References: 

With all these health benefits, it gave me all the more reason to try baking this cake. I grinded black sesame seeds and it really added a nutty fragrance to the cake. Really interesting!

For this bake, I used the rectangle pan on the right (photo below). As its base is wider, my cake turned out flatter. I would suggest using a 8" x 3.5" x 3" rectangle tin instead for a more perfect looking cake loaf.

Black Sesame Pound Cake
adapted from e's joie (my notes in red)
makes a 8" x 3.5" x 3" rectangle cake

Ingredients:
50g salted butter (I used unsalted butter)
50g icing sugar, sifted
1 egg
70g cake flour
30g black sesame powder (I used grinded black sesame seeds)
1/2 tsp baking powder
50g milk

Method:
1. Cream butter and icing sugar well.

2. Add in egg a little at time and ensure it’s well beaten after each addition.

3. Sift together cake flour, baking powder and black sesame powder and fold in lightly. (I mixed in grinded black sesame seeds before folding in the sifted flour and  baking powder as I do not have black sesame powder)

4. Fold in milk.

5. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 170 degrees for 20-25 mins. (I baked mine at 180C for 22 mins)



This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Diana from the Domestic Goddess Wannabe
Photobucket



Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog.

6 comments:

  1. Hi LY I had no idea that black sesame seeds were that good for us. I guess it is time to hunt for more black sesame related recipes! Thanks for sharing with LTU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana, I didn't know how much nutritional values these little seeds possess until I started googling on it too. :))

      Delete
  2. the chinese loves anything sesame.. as they always say to aids in blackening the hair (literally)... i haven't tried black sesame in pound cakes. we see it so much in bread and chiffons... but this is great. thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome! I will be looking out for opportunity to add these in my bakes next time.

      Delete
  3. Hi LY,

    I'll be happy to enjoy cakes with so much benefits for health... This looks superb!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...